Friday, July 23, 2010

New President for Newman Park Neighborhood Association

Jim Tolbert with Newman Park guest and community activist, Debbie Kelly

This past Saturday, board members of the Newman Park Neighborhood Association elected me(Jim Tolbert) as President. I will fill the one-year unexpired term of Lynn Coyle. Lynn will serve out her last year on the board but resigned as President. The board also re-elected Abbie Majercyzk as Secretary. Becky Friesenhahn has one more year as Vice-President and Lee Byrd has one more year as Treasurer.

I'm the author of this blog and the neighborhood e-letter. I also serve on other community boards. I'm President of the West Texas Urban Forestry Council, convenor of Celebration of Our Mountains, a member of the City of El Paso Open Space Advisory Board and Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. I'm a member of the Franklin Mountains Wilderness Coalition board, a Master Naturalist and a Master Gardener. Occasionally I do work doing marketing copy for clients along with some public relations work. I have a number of print and promotional products customers. I promote hiking and schedule hikes for a growing list of people. I also blog at elpasonaturally.

Jim presents Lynn with a plaque in appreciation of her service as NPNA's first President

To say that following Lynn will be a hard act to follow is a gross understatement. Lynn established the tempo and events of our Association. Around town and at City Hall, it is her face that people often put to our neighborhood. She would not quit until the McKee House was finally under new ownership and she has kept an eye on the park always with a deep, maternal, loving concern. I am fortunate that she will remain on the board.

I am also fortunate for all the other great persons who serve the neighborhood as board members. The wisdom, experience, talents and caring of each member is a real asset not only to any President, but also to the neighborhood, greater community and city. I am lucky to be serving with Becky Friesenhahn (Vice-President), Abbie Majercyzk (Secretary), Lee Byrd (Treasurer), Sally Sauli (Neighborhood Coalition Liaison), Lisa Degliantoni, Robert Taylor, Juan Villalobos, Christine Estrada (who thankfully returns to the board) and, of course, Lynn.

The main thing is that the other board members and I are here for you. Please don't ever hesitate to call or email me with anything that is on your mind or in your heart.

Newmanista and former Mayor Suzie Azar and Newman Park guest, Professor Karl Putnam

No comments: