Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What You Should Know About Tall Grass and Weeds

Environmental Service Department of the City of El Paso just issued this press release:

El Paso, Texas – It’s that time of year again when vegetation can quickly grow out of control.

That means it's also time for El Paso residents to be neighborly and trim their tall grass and weeds.

“Following the summer rains, weeds tend to blanket the city. We are seeking the public’s assistance in combating this problem. Property owners can help by maintaining their yards as well as the sidewalks, alleys and parkways bordering their properties,” said City of El Paso Code Compliance Division Manager Lucinda Chavez.

Overgrowth of weeds and other vegetation is not only unsightly, but can:

  • Pose a fire hazard when it becomes dry.
  • Threaten public health by increasing the amount of allergy-triggering pollens in the air.
  • Serve as a shelter for vermin, mosquitoes and other nuisances.
  • Impede the public's ability to use sidewalks.
  • Reduce property values.

To safeguard the community’s quality of life, the City of El Paso Code Compliance Division, which enforces anti-blight and public nuisance laws, is seeking voluntary compliance with the municipal Vegetation and Weed ordinance.

Property owners or tenants are responsible for maintenance of vegetation on their properties and abutting sidewalks, parkways and alleys, under Title 9 of the El Paso Municipal Code states. Grass, weeds or uncultivated plants should not be allowed to grow taller than 12 inches.

Violations are punishable by a $270 fine, which includes court courts.

Anyone put on notice for an ordinance violation should correct the violation by the compliance date on the notice. At the time notice is given the property owner or tenant may also be issued a Class C citation. If the property is not in compliance at the time of re-inspection, the property owner or tenant may be issued another Class C citation for non compliance. In addition, the City may request a court order seeking permission to access the property to correct the violation.

If the City cleans up the property, the cleanup costs will be passed on to the property’s owner. A lien will be placed on a property if the clean up costs are not paid.

If a repeat violation occurs within one calendar year of the first violation, the City has the authority to clean up the property and pass on the cleanup costs to property owner without providing any additional notice to the violator.

Citizens my report code violations by calling (915) 774-4500 or using on-line services available through www.elpasotexas.gov/environmental_services.

Disposing of Yard Waste

· The City of El Paso Environmental Services Department for a small fee will pick up residential yard waste. For more information, call (915) 621-6700.

  • Citizens, who pay solid waste fees to the City of El Paso Environmental Services Department, may dispose of their yard waste at no charge at a Citizen Collection Station. The sites are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and are located at:

Northeast: 4501 Hondo Pass

North Central: 2492 Harrison

Westside: 121 Atlantic (at Doniphan)

Lower Valley: 9000 Escobar

South Central: 4200 Delta

To learn more about the Citizen Collection Stations visit www.elpasotexasagov/environmental_services or call (915) 621-6700.


Residential Inspection said...

Hey this is very nice place.

jakcob said...

thank you for this helpful information.