Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hummingbirds Return to Newman Park Nesting Spots

Picture Copyrighted by Donna Stephens. Click on image to enlarge. 

Donna Stephens took this picture of a female Black-chinned Hummingbird. She had this to say about the picture: "This is one of the two nests from two years ago. This Hummingbird buzzed around me several times. I couldn't get off a shot because it was right up in my face. Then it settled in the nest and sat there while I took some shots. It actually let me get up close and didn't move while I was shooting. She was just posing so proud. Could it be one of the same birds from last summer?"


Mark Perkins, a birding expert and member of the El Paso/Trans-Pecos Audubon Society, said "Hummingbirds do return to the same nest, unless the nest has been destroyed. In that case, they will build a new one close by."


No comments: